Friday, May 3, 2013

Living in a State of Gratitude


I first read about the idea of keeping a gratitude list sometime around 2009-2010 when I purchased Sarah Ban Breathnach's book, Simple Abundance.  While I thought the concept of writing down a list of at least 5 things you are grateful for at the end of each day was kinda cool, I found it very hard to practice.  It was about that time that my marriage took a nosedive and life really sucked for several years.  Not only did I feel I had nothing to be grateful for, but it was painful just to open my eyes each morning and face a new day.  A few months ago I revisited this practice and started noting down things during the day that were good - the sun shining through the lace curtains on my window, a particularly insightful and supportive comment from my  partner, diving into a really good book.  Let me tell you people, this practice is LIFE-CHANGING! On the outside my life may seem very ordinary, even boring perhaps, but through this practice I have found that my internal life is extraordinary.  There is beauty in my everyday life that is breathtaking.  I have a feeling that it's been there all along but I've never taken the time to notice.  Committing to this practice has held me accountable for paying attention to my life, to the small, simple things that make up my day.  This makes me happy.  Very, very happy.  Try it. You'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try it. I have a notebook that I keep with me for "to do"s and random thoughts. I've heard that keeping a gratitude list can be helpful but I've never tried it. Here goes!

    ReplyDelete